Date: Feb 23 2019, 8 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.
Test your skills and abilities on how to build a boat out of CARDBOARD AND DUCT TAPE ONLY.
Will it float is the question? Will your design be the most creative?
Sign up for this fun family-friendly, team building event and find out.
- Check-in: 8 a.m.
- Safety Brief: 8:30 a.m.
- Boat Races begin at: 9 a.m.
- Only the items listed above may be used to build boats. Cardboard tubes are permitted, but cannot have wood used to cap the ends. No pre-treated or waxed cardboard is permitted.
- Only colored duck tape can be used to decorate your boat. Use of paint, stickers, etc. will result is disqualification.
- No wrapping in tape, however, tape may be used to reinforce the bottom of your boat.
- You must build your own oar / paddle; may only be used to propel the boat. Oars Must be made of cardboard .
- Each participant must wear a bathing suit/ shorts and PFD (Personal Floatation Device) at all times when in or on the water.
- Each boat must carry at least two team members.
- All boats must be built ahead of time and pass inspection prior to racing.
- Team members who start the race must finish the race without leaving the interior of the boat. If a team member exits the boat for any reason during the race, the team will be disqualified.
- When a boat is finished with the race, the team must remove the boat and any leftover cardboard debris from the water area and dispose of it at the designated trash area.
- Teams are not allowed to sabotage anyone else’s boat. Any rough housing in the water will lead to disqualification.
- Judging will be based on completing the race and the time.
- Staff will inspect boats as they come into the facility.
- Captains Award (Speed Award): For the team who completes the course in the fastest amount of time.
- Titanic Award: For the most dramatic sinking and best effort not to sink.
- Team Spirit Award: For the best design and creativity, including boat & crew.
Get a head start on building your boat at these free Build-Your-Boat workshops Barr Memorial Library on the follow days:
- February 7 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- February 12 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- February 21 from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
- Open to everyone
- Teams must consist of at least 2 people
- Register online NLT February 22
- More info: (502) 624-1413 or (502) 624-6217
- Tel: +1 (502) 624-6217
- Military DSN Tel: (312)464-6217